When Aussie wanted his room painted he knew exactly what he wanted. He drew it out, he had very specific colors that he wanted to use. He was so excited about it. When it came time to paint Mason's room, he really wasn't sure what he wanted. He wanted to make it his own, but just didn't have the artistic ability to think it through. So it started with a quilt.
One day I was in Walmart and I checked the prices of some fabric and just decided to go for it. I made Ashley a quilt probably 6 years ago and said I would NEVER make another one again. Well I ate those words. With a "little" better sewing skills and better knowledge of how to do it, I went to work on a Minecraft Creeper quilt.
I bought a yard of 4 different kinds of green fabric. Approximately, 3 yards of black fabric and 3 black bias tape or binder tape (whatever it's called). I intended it to be 15 squares across and 18 squares lengthwise. But I made a mistake on the last row. Somehow I turned the quilt and started sewing down the side. It ended up being 16 squares by 17 squares. If you are making this you will want a length of at least 19 squares. The squares are approximately 3" each.
He was ecstatic! So then he was telling me that he wanted his whole room Minecraft. He told me he wanted his room to be painted like oak wooden planks.
Here is what I went by to try and create his room:
I had Greg do all the hard parts. He taped off the room. We started painting the stripes first. Ashley helped paint as well.
We bought 1.88" painter's tape and made the stripes 2 tapes wide. Greg did his handywork and taped the stripes using a level. See that's the part I would go insane doing.
Then we painted the room with the main light color. And then took down the tape.
Next comes the fun part.
I created 2 stencils using an old plastic 3 ring binder.
Using the picture above as my guide, I used the stencils to create lines with a middle color.
Ta da! It's done!
Next it's time to personalize the room.
I printed off these pictures and Photoshopped them to fit 8x8 frames, which I got from Target in a set of 6 each. Some of them are screen shots from the game. One of the pictures is of Mason's Minecraft character. He helped me pick out the pictures he wanted to use.
Then I made this light switch cover. I just printed this picture and Mod Podged it on to the plate.
Next I made these outlet covers for all of his outlets using the same technique.
Then I added the surprise! I bought this Minecraft torch online. He had no idea I got it.
I think it might be his favorite part of the room.
So here it is all together:
I have one more thing I plan to do. Since he already has red sheets, I'm going to put a white strip with TNT across the pillow case. And he also wants to hang his Minecraft sword and Minecraft pickax. We will hang those on the opposite wall.
We will be painting Ashley's room next. I'm thankful she wants something simple. But knowing me, we will do something fun with it.