Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Magnetic Paper Dolls and Backgrounds

Ok so I am super duper excited about this project that I created for Ashley.  It has taken a good part of 2 days to create it.  Several months ago I saw on Make It & Love It blog where she bought paper dolls and made them into magnets.  I loved the idea and kept it in the back of my head to someday create.  I thought how nice it would be as a quiet church activity, but I thought bringing a huge cookie sheet to church might not be ideal.  So I created a carrying case. I am by no means a seamstress, but sometimes what I make comes out doggone cute!
This is the outside. It ties at the top to keep it shut.

When you open it you will find 4 metal pages (8 front and back).
This is the front page.

I found the metal sheets at Home Depot.  However, it took me asking 5 people before someone knew what I could use.  I first found sheets of aluminum which is not magnetic.  Then I explored painting with magnetic paint.  The paint was something like $36, which I wasn't willing to pay. (But later I found a smaller amount in a spray can for $11 at Hobby Lobby.) Anyway, I then thought I could cut a cookie sheet- which is actually what I tried to do the night before but couldn't cut it.  So I asked at Home Depot for something that would cut a cookie sheet.  This is the 5th person to help me and he asked me what I would be cutting.  I told him and told him what I really came in there for and he said he had something and took me right to it. You can get a cookie sheet at the $1 store, so that would be the cheapest route if you had the tools to cut it.  But the metal sheet I bought were a little less than $5 each.  They were huge though.  So I cut them in half.  The sides could be sharp so I covered them with pink Duck tape. 
Outside backgrounds

I found different pictures on the internet to print for the backgrounds. I printed some at home on photo paper- which is what I recommend.  I had Greg print me some on legal size paper, but when I put those pages on they wrinkled badly.

I ModPodged the pages onto the metal.  Now she can put her dolls right on the page without them sliding around.
The ballroom
The bedrooms
And the playroom.
On the back page I created a pocket where she can keep the dolls and outfits while she is not playing with them.

One thing I would like to do but I really don't know how, it to create one more page of pockets.  The pockets need to close.  This little set came with 100's of pieces.  I would like to create a pocket for shoes, dresses, pants, crowns, wings, winter coats, etc.  That way it would be easy to find what you need.  I still have to figure out how to do it, but I will probably make one at some point.

I just love how it turned out and Ashley loves it too.  She does say it is a bit heavy to carry though.

No comments: