Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Food frustrations

I'm frustrated. I want to eat healthy and also lose weight. I've taken several drastic changes this year to change our family's eating habits. But alas, no weight has come off. I feel like I'm on the right track, but I need to take it a step further.

Why am I so frustrated? Because everyone and their uncle has a different meaning of eating healthy. I have very wise and healthy friends who eat one way from other wise and healthy friends. Both think their way is THE way. There are 1000's upon 1000's of different diets.

I've also struggled with the Let Go and Let God phrase. Well I think I have done that and that does not work. I Let Go and didn't think about it at all and just ate what I wanted, really believing God was going to only let me eat what I needed.

So is the old fashioned food pyramid the "right" way to eat? How about what Weight Watchers teach? How about a vegetarian diet? What about a diet high in Meats? Low fat? High fiber? No sugar? No white bread? Low carbohydrates?

See everyone has their own idea. If you comment and say this is the way or that is the way, how am I to know your way is right?

Today I am really seeking. I don't want food to consume my life. I picked up the Bible and started reading Proverbs. I don't know why I started there. I tried to ask Greg some questions about where he would send someone to read if they were struggling. He asked struggling in what area? Well I didn't really want something specific to eating healthy, so he did not offer any suggestions that could really help. So I just sat down and thought I should read Proverbs. The verse that has really stuck out to me is Proverbs 1:20-22.

Wisdom calls aloud in the street, she raises her voice in the public squares; at the end of the noisy streets she cries out, in the gateways of the city she makes her speech: How long will you simple ones love your simple ways?...
I feel like God shouts out wisdom, but for so long I have not been listening. But trying to hear what God says about how I should eat it very difficult. At least for me. So I am praying that He will talk to me somehow today through a book, a person, a dream or something to help me with my food struggles.
Will you pray for me too?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Chelle, I read your blog and will keep you in my prayers. My only suggestion is to watch your calories. It takes 3500 calories less to lose 1 pound. Fats have more than twice the calories in the same size portion as caborhydrates and protein. Your body needs all 3, but most of us eat too much fat or carb. Also, exercise helps burn calories and some say it increases your metabolism, too. It's hard with 3 kids to exercise routinely, I know. Vegetables that aren't starches, salads and meats are good for dieting. Snacks like celery or broccoli are good for you. Carrots are good if limited because they have alot of sugar in them. If you eat smaller portions but chew them longer, it gives your brain that 10 minutes it takes to feel satisfied. I drink alot of water, too, with my meal to help fill me up. Your stomach will shrink in time and you will feel overstuffed if you eat more than a small amt. There is also a surgical procedure to put a band around the stomach if your health is in danger but I don't know much about who qualifies or if your insurance will help with it. I know the eating restrictions after the surgery are very severe. Since you would have to give up 700 calories a day to lose one pound a week, don't expect it to melt off, it will be work. I love you and want you to be happy and healthy! Gayle

cropalot said...

I will not tell you that one way is right and another is wrong. However I believe the Bible will not mislead you IF you read it praying you will understand. The verse saying 'all things in moderation' is good. God made all things for us to enjoy. It is only when we carry them to extreme that they are bad for us.

I don't know if you remember Gwen Shamblin and the Weigh Down Workshop, but I know it works. It is all Biblical. It is to be followed along with Bible Study.

Now that I'm giving advice, how am I doing? Well I just returned from Colorado two pounds heavier.
I'm going to pull out the Weigh Down Workshop book and start over.

Love you, Mom

Allison P. said...

Hey Chelle -- didn't know you had a blog and just happened by to say Hi! I think you are doing amazing cooking your family's food. You are definitely doing the right thing by preparing it yourself instead of buying processed foods of any kind. If God made it himself and it is for food then you should be okay there and if he claims it in the Bible as good to eat then eat it. The only time I have ever lost weight and kept it off is when I did the Weigh Down Workshop about 11 yrs. ago. It was a very interesting diet b/c the focus was on learning your own body's signs for hunger. Although children may need to eat 3 times a day, I can go eating much less often. Sometimes I just eat b/c "it's time" and I am not even hungry. Also, for me, I have found if I eat 2 eggs and a piece of toast, then I am truly satisfied for more hours without thinking about eating and the same goes for my kids. When they eat store-bought waffles (which are like eating paper/cardboard), they are ready to eat again in half an hour vs. homemade egg/milk/whole grain-filled waffles, they will not ask for more food for several hours. Their tummies are full and their body and brain is satisfied. Same for me. Ultimately, a person will not lose weight unless they eat less. And if you eat ONLY when your body gives hunger signs (and figuring this out will drive you to distraction) and eat what you want when you are hungry only up to the point that you are not hungry anymore, then it is reasonable that you could eventually lose weight. There were times, when I was on the weigh down plan, that I had a candy bar for a "meal" b/c that was what I wanted. But eventually I learned for my own body, that I feel the most satisfied (even my mouth feels happy) when I eat some good fat/protein and when I eat fresh grilled vegetables. I am all about flavor. When I eat flavorless food, I keep eating anyway trying to get some satisfaction but when the flavor it high, then I am satisfied with less. I have let a few pounds creep back in b/c I eat what is on my plate without thinking. I've got to go back to watching my body's hunger signs again. I know this is a lot of rambling, but I needed to say it for myself. I hope it has made sense and might possibly mean something to you. Looking for encouragement and instruction in the Bible is the best place to go for sure! Allison P.

Dana said...

Clean eating and HCG!! This protocal has completely retrained my brain ... the cravings are gone and I am developing a new relationship with food. Love it!