Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Pumpkin Lapbook

Well we did our first lapbook! It is all about pumpkins. And now my son (guess which one) is completely sick of pumpkins! On the last few days of finishing up the lapbook he begged- Please NO MORE PUMPKINS! But no matter what he thinks, I think they turned out great. Especially for a first attempt. All three did one and they all look slightly different. I will show you one of them in it's entirety, except for the 5 little pumpkin page, which really shows their individuality (at least I think so).

Here is the front of the lapbook: They practiced lacing on the pumpkin and I tried to get them to memorize the poem. But we haven't gotten there yet and with Austin's pumpkin denial- I think I'll just let it go.








Here is the inside:





To the left is where I put all the worksheets they did:




In the middle: They have the 5 little pumpkin picture and poem.
A pumpkin number puzzle, a pumpkin pie with ingredients glued in it. Then when you open the flap: You find out lots of facts about the pumpkin. And a counting book tucked away in a pocket. I have it connected with string so it doesn't get lost.


The outside of the pumpkin has a few questions that they answered about the pumpkin that we carved open:
It says:
1. The outside of my pumpkin looks orange.
2. It feels cold
3. It smells spicy.
I think there is 1 seed in my pumpkin.
(Mason guessed 100 seeds and Aussie guessed 200 seeds). On the inside:
it says:
1. The inside of the pumpkin looks slobbery
2. It feels dirty.
3. It smells a little spicy
4. There were 239 seeds in the pumpkin
And they glued pumpkin seeds and string to look like the inside of the pumpkin.
Then on the Right side: We had a sequencing game where they had to put the order of how a pumpkin grows in order and also practice writing their numbers on the outside of the pumpkins.
On the bottom is the little book of how a Pumpkin Grows. It is attached by a string so it doesn't get lost. And it is put into a transparency pocket. I wanted to be able to see the cute artwork they did on the front.
Then on the back: I put various pictures of when we went to the Pumpkin Farm. I got the picture in the middle off the internet and we practiced math with it. I have little flaps. On one side it may say 3+ and on the other side it says 2=. I had the kids paint pumpkins by each number and then put the correct answer on the inside of the flaps.
As a whole the lapbook was fun. Probably more so for me than them. At first they were really proud of them and then I think they got bored. So I will have to tailor the next one to be a shorter lesson so they don't get bored or just include more topics (such as planets- going into details about each planet.) It was a learning experience and I think I will continue with it with a few minor changes.
-----------------------------------------------
This is Aussie. He came downstairs dressed like this and I said, "Oh are you a pirate?" Offended he said, "Oh most definitely I'm Not!" I said, "So what are you?" He just looked at me and said, "I'm a human being."
Ok then....I think that's enough for one night.

6 comments:

Valerie McClintick said...

Oh my goodness! These are wonderful! That is funny that your son is sick of pumpkins! lol, my daughter got that way with apples last month? lol, We did an apple craft thinking we waited long enough for her to get "unsick" of them, but no, she said, "Mines a pumpkin not an apple" Aren't kids so cute with all their particulars!

I love that you did the Pumpkin Facts. We'll have to add some facts to the next one we do, I really like that idea.

My favorite is when you put pictures of the family at the pumpking patch.....we're going to do that too!

Someday your son will look back into his pumpkin lapbook and have a great time revisiting all the stories and poems and facts he worked hard on, but the pictures will be the best part!

Thanks so much for sharing each of theirs!

God Bless,

Valerie

Renee said...

That is too cool. It looks like a lot of work. Can you just make an extra set up for me the next time??? ha

Jann Gray said...

Chelle....what a HUGE and wonderful project. Thank you so much for sharing the "end product" with us. I love the thoroughness and all the very creative ways you worked learning into the process.

WOW -- you are awesome...and the kids did a GREAT job!

Audrey said...

Looks wonderful! We are in the process of our first lapbook. I can't wait til it's finished!

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is amazing! I can't believe this is your first lapbook. I love how you did the pumpkin growth sequencing. I also like the idea of attaching extra pieces with yarn. We'll have to do that.

Jennifer
www.homeschoolblogger.com/fieldsofharvest

Anonymous said...

wow wow wow

Triplet wow's for those lapbooks.. and triple wow's for COUNTING the seeds in a pumpkin.

YOU WIN!