Unfortunately today was not much better. I threatened to put the game cube in time out for a week if they didn't get their homework done. It came VERY close! I am so sick of their attitudes about doing school! Does anyone have any advise on how to encourage them to have better attitudes? They don't have to like it, but this screaming is ridiculous!
Anyway- yesterday we were learning about how the Sumerians in approximately 3300BC invented a type of writing. They drew picture signs to represent different words. So I had the kids write their own picture stories.
Mason drew fish, a cross and a tree. He didn't really have a message to his.
Aussie drew playing with littlest pet shop animals.
And Ashley got the idea of what I was trying to have them do. She drew a picture with a message for me.
Here it is: Can you guess what it is saying?
Here it is: Can you guess what it is saying?I thought it was pretty clever. She was saying that she wanted me to buy her a stuffed animal. LOL!!! See that is me holding the stuffed animal and her with a big smile and that on the right is money. Ha ha ha!
I can't think of anything else to report. I hope all of you are doing well!
4 comments:
Rather than threatening, I would just do it. Tell them: "These bad attitudes must stop today. From this moment on, if you scream or even have a bad attitude at all, that child will not play the game cube for 24 hours." Don't threaten and then back down! You absolutely have to follow through with this.
I put some other ideas on the post you sent to TNHome Ed (followed your blog link here).
Always remember, too, that your kids are little. It's OK to back off of math when they aren't getting it. It's OK to have them go run around the house 3 times when they are wiggly. When my kids were smaller we'd do school for 20 minutes and then take a 10 minute outdoor break. It helped them concentrate so much better!!
Hang in there!
cute pic/story.
lol. i feel your pain. none of them like to do "work". and it doesn't get any better as they get older.
my suggestion would be to teach by example....
you'll have to gauge if they're *old* enough to understand, but my thought is:
You can give them a visual by taking something you don't like...for instance..the dishes. Like it or not, it's a job that must be done. Well, like it or not, they have to do thier work. So, it follows that...mommy and/or daddy does the dishes...but you don't whine, scream, meltdown, etc....you do them. I might even be inclined to *have* a meltdown a time or two before having the discussion....then wind it up with..."ok you guys, tell you what...I can't stand doing the dishes, but it's my job...so i promise not to have a meltdown and try to do the job, and you promise to try and do your work without attitude."
another thing i've tried with my two is they have to earn certain priveleges....you do this math work and it earns you this much tv time, or extra library time, etc. I've also turned that around and said ok...you didn't finish your math work, so that earned *ME* 10 minutes of you doing an extra job for me.
hugs,
~twinshiner
Chelle...I am re-reading a great book I picked up last month called "Have a New Kid by Friday" by Kevin Lehman...it is great! It's really amazing how quickly you can turn things around when you stick to your guns and be consistent! That's always so hard for me but imagine life in 2 - 5 years if we don't get this under control now...I don't like what I see! Buy the book...it's worth it!
Also, allow for a little school time and a little break time 5 - 10 minutes of break...it really works well! We also had them earn tickets when they did certain things for the nintendo when they were little...I just made up tickets for 15 minute increments and they would have to do school well, chores, whatever you deem, make a poster telling what they have to do to earn the tickets and be consistent! Then when they wanted to redeem them, they could only redeem up to one hours worth a day...just a few suggestions...hope that helps!
Post a Comment