Everything you wanted to know and didn't want to know about these curiously little bumpy things:
(Straight from Wikipedia)
Osage-orange, Horse-apple, Bois D'Arc or Bodark (Maclura pomifera) is a small deciduous tree or large shrub, typically growing to 26-49 ft tall. The fruit, a multiple fruit, is roughly spherical, but bumpy and is filled with a sticky white latex sap. (blah...blah...blah you can read more if you wish here.) But interestingly it shows promise of being a mosquito repellent with similar activity to DEET.
So what does this have to do with anything?
Today, I was dropping off some money to a friend for an upcoming field trip. I wasn't planning on staying. I was just planning to drop it off and come right back home. When we got there, she and her kids were heading out the door to pick up these strange fruits that fall to the ground and cause problems if you should need to mow. They do this once a year. And since their neighbor mows their lawn by the mailbox. They pick up these osage-oranges in their yard too.
OH how I wish I had my camera with me.
The kids wanted to help and they didn't mind the company. So we helped pick these up. They live in the country with a LONG pebble driveway and it is beautiful there. We sure were not dressed for the occassion. Crocs do not feel very well on lots of little rocks.
Along the way the kids stopped by the creek, after Mason spotted a heron. They played there for several minutes trying to skip rocks. (But I'm not sure you can skip rocks that are as big as a medium sized pet.)
Then they went about picking more osage-oranges, putting them into the big wagon and then throwing them into a creek area in which they are trying to use as a little landfill to keep it from overflowing.
My stomach started to hurt, so I set back to get the car and I would pick up the kids on my way back. It didn't take us long to get down the hill. But it sure was hike back up it! (Especially when I wasn't feeling very well!)
But I learned a very valuable lesson:
What in the world was I thinking leaving the house without a camera!? I should have at least had my little one in my purse.

(Straight from Wikipedia)
Osage-orange, Horse-apple, Bois D'Arc or Bodark (Maclura pomifera) is a small deciduous tree or large shrub, typically growing to 26-49 ft tall. The fruit, a multiple fruit, is roughly spherical, but bumpy and is filled with a sticky white latex sap. (blah...blah...blah you can read more if you wish here.) But interestingly it shows promise of being a mosquito repellent with similar activity to DEET.
So what does this have to do with anything?
Today, I was dropping off some money to a friend for an upcoming field trip. I wasn't planning on staying. I was just planning to drop it off and come right back home. When we got there, she and her kids were heading out the door to pick up these strange fruits that fall to the ground and cause problems if you should need to mow. They do this once a year. And since their neighbor mows their lawn by the mailbox. They pick up these osage-oranges in their yard too.
OH how I wish I had my camera with me.
The kids wanted to help and they didn't mind the company. So we helped pick these up. They live in the country with a LONG pebble driveway and it is beautiful there. We sure were not dressed for the occassion. Crocs do not feel very well on lots of little rocks.
Along the way the kids stopped by the creek, after Mason spotted a heron. They played there for several minutes trying to skip rocks. (But I'm not sure you can skip rocks that are as big as a medium sized pet.)
Then they went about picking more osage-oranges, putting them into the big wagon and then throwing them into a creek area in which they are trying to use as a little landfill to keep it from overflowing.
My stomach started to hurt, so I set back to get the car and I would pick up the kids on my way back. It didn't take us long to get down the hill. But it sure was hike back up it! (Especially when I wasn't feeling very well!)
But I learned a very valuable lesson:
What in the world was I thinking leaving the house without a camera!? I should have at least had my little one in my purse.
No comments:
Post a Comment