Thursday, November 29, 2007

Christmas ornaments and homeschooling





We've been making ornaments. We made these out of bread. The kids had fun decorating them and putting them on the tree.


So by looking at this picture can you tell what Aussie is into these days?
I'll give you a hint...He wants to live there some day. Do you give up? He decorated all of his ornaments like the Germany flag. He has pictures of Germany that he has drawn, up on his wall. He asked for Germany books from the library. I tell you when this kid gets something in his head there is no stopping him. It's wonderful and exhausting at the same time.
Now onto "The Undecorator"... This is the culprit right here in the tree. She loves to bat at all the ornaments until they fall. She has already broken a few. Good thing I didn't put the good ornaments on the tree this year.
Everyone usually asks how school is going, so I'll tell you. It's going just fine. Honestly, it is tiring and sometimes like pulling teeth to get the kids to do their work. But I have found Ashley can really excel if she has complete silence (hard to get around here). I had to just stop and think about how well they are doing. I sometimes get so discouraged. But thinking that most kids their age (born in the summer of 2002) are waiting another year to start Kindergarten. Also my kids were preemies- which means they would have been born in September as a singleton. Then I am using Abeka, which is a grade level above other curriculums. I have to stop and see that they are doing quite well for their age. I don't want to push them through. I want them to enjoy school, which makes me have doubts about staying with Abeka. I'll finish out the year with it, but I have no idea what I will get next year.
Also Everyone asks: Do you like homeschooling? Well no not really. But I wouldn't have it any other way. It's important to me for them to get a good education and stay out of the public school system. I'm hoping with a different curriculum, that all of us will like it better.
So do any of you homeschoolers have any suggestions on curriculums for me to research? I'll tell you right now, I'm not a big reader, so I don't want to do Sonlight.

3 comments:

Jill LaFaye said...

I really like Abeka..mainly because that was the curriculum that I grew up with in private school:) I never did any comparisons..I went straight to Abeka..coming from someone that learned from it..I knew from experience that it was a great choice!

Anonymous said...

I use Abeka but we use the video series. It has worked really well for us. It is about 1100 for the year, but well worth it. Try and stick with Abeka for the first two years. Your kids will get an incredible foundation in math, reading and writing. They will be miles ahead and than it will be easier to switch to some other cirruculum. My little girl loves the videos, and my three year old can't wait to go to "class" himself. Keep up the awesome work. Homeschooling triplets has got to be hard, but well worth the effort.

Anonymous said...

Have you looked into My Father's World?