Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Native American Dance

On Monday we went to see a Native American dance. It was wonderful!!! Ashley and Austin drew pictures of them and gave them to them. It was so sweet. I wish I could have kept a couple of those to scan in. Anyway, Aussie drew a picture and gave it to the lady and she was so impressed. She really looked deep into. Everything has meaning to these people. She explained what she thought each thing he drew meant. She explained how the lightning is very significant in what they were doing and I think it meant life. (I didn't tell her that he probably drew stairs instead of lightning) She loved how she was the only one who had a face and the three other men did not. Anyway, it was cool seeing her get so excited over his drawing.
The man who is doing this dance is 54 years old. He is so strong. It was just amazing to watch him perform.
They use the word regalia instead of costume because a costume is something you where when you are dressing up to be something that you are not. The lady is her on seamstress so she made her own regalia. I was truly impressed and the kids enjoyed it too!

No comments: