Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lost in Nowheresville

I am so emotionally drained today.

The heat index was 110 F today. That's enough right there to make me feel drained. It was so hot that as soon as I got into Greg's car my mascara re-moistened and made my eyelids stick together. I've never had that happen before. It was weird!

The kids had a birthday party to go to today. It was really neat. The place is called Glow Galaxy. Inside are those big huge inflatable slides, jumpy things, and obstacle courses.

There was also a miniature golf course, a dance floor with dance games, football, basketball all kinds of stuff, but what was really special about this place is that it all glowed in the dark.

After the party I needed to go to a friend's house and pick up something. I had never been to her house. She said she would be gone but she sent me directions and where to pick it up. I made sure to save the email on my phone marking it "not read" so that when I needed it I could open it up and read it.

Well by the time I needed it, I had gotten several other emails and I could in no way pull up the email. So I looked up her address, Google Mapped it and tried to find my way there. Many times those Map programs are right on target, but sometimes they are way off or route you all over creation. Well this time it took me all over the place. Plus I missed a turn and got lost out in nowheresville. I did eventually get to my destination.

So then I put in my address to get me back home, it took me in the opposite direction in which I had come. This time the directions were just wrong. It took me way out somewhere and I was so lost!!! I found a Walgreens and went in to ask directions. Many people conferred and agreed that I should take this interstate that I had never been on before. That was OK if it was going to get me home. I headed in that direction onto the interstate out in the country.

Then it began to rain and I'm not talking a little rain.



I am talking about the kind of rain that I couldn't see 3 feet in front of me. So here I am on an interstate out in the country with NOTHING in sight (even if I could see it), going 40 miles per hour on a 70 miles per hour road and sliding every 100 feet or so.


I couldn't help but cry. (That certainly didn't make it any easier to see.)


I stopped on the side of the road. I just wanted to get to civilisation and go in a McDonald's or something to wait out the rain.


Greg called and was able to tell me to get off in 2 more exits and there should be a Cracker Barrel there.

Well I got off in two more exits, which happened to be the exit the people who gave me directions told me to get off on. There was no Cracker Barrel or anything else for that matter, but the rain lifted and I was able to see where I was going. I went a little way and knew where I was. I had been at that spot before a couple years ago. But at least it was familiar territory.

It was probably another 45 minutes until I got home. My eyes are tired.

There's No Place Like Home!
Boy how I wished I could have just clicked my heels and magically gotten home!
I think I'll go to bed now.

No comments: