Friday, August 06, 2010

My version of If You Give A Mouse A Cookie Day

So what does this book have in common with the kind of day I had?
In my case it was if you tell a mechanic you think you need a battery.
All I can say is UGH!
Mom says it is just life!
Well I say this sucks!
So last night my battery light came on. I made it home safely and forgot about it until I got in the car this morning.
Started my drive to Murrfreesboro, the battery light still on. I thought well I'll take the kids to their play date and thankfully the lady said I could leave the kids their and have a Mommy day out. I thought I would take it to Sam's Club out that way and get a new battery.
Well then other warning lights started coming on. I was worried and called Greg. He said to see if I could find a Valvoline along the way. They would be able to give me a new battery and I wouldn't be stranded with 3 kids along the side of the road somewhere.
Well I did find a Valvoline. Which as you know is mostly an oil change shop. They tested the battery and indeed it was low. So they changed it- $100+. The battery light would not go off so they checked it again. Well that is where they noticed my serpentine belt was broken, completely in half. It baffled them that it just broke in half with no wear and tear on it.
So anyway this oil changing place say they can replace the belt. But they don't have it in stock, they have to order it. I am at there mercy, stuck there. So Greg comes from Nashville to pick us up. They order the part and said the part should get there in 40 minutes.
Greg gets there, we take the kids to their play date.
Greg and I went to lunch.
Greg takes me back to shop and leaves to go back to work.
Yay! The work is done. Another $110+, but I'm ready to have the last hour of my supposed Mommy's day out.
I get in the car and it is squealing so terribly that I hear the mechanics say, "Oh no". They get another person to look at the car and apparently this guy knows what he is doing. He said it is the alternator. OH LOVELY! They don't do alternators there.
I have to call Greg back. We go together to pick up the kids and then drive to our mechanic in Antioch and drop off the car. They say it should be $300 or $400. Yep- 20 years ago when my alternator went out it was $300, so I'm betting you it's closer to $400 this time.
So what happened? Last night the alternator must have died. The belt was going around and around just causing friction and finally broke. I was driving completely on my battery and therefore run down the battery.
I had plans tonight. I had a babysitter ready to come over. I needed to cancel. I'm totally bummed.
So co-op tomorrow has a mandatory orientation at 9:00AM. Greg will have to drive us to co-op. Thankfully he has a job he can call in and work from there. Hopefully the car will be completed by the end of co-op and he will drive us to the shop.
And that's my version of If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.

1 comment:

Michelle W. said...

I am so so sorry. Car trouble stinks enough without it costing a fortune! I had to buy a transmission this year...I can so relate to your pain!