Monday, August 02, 2010

They are getting Press! Wooo Hooo!

(Sorry for those getting this twice- I forgot to check the spelling.)

Yay! This is so exciting! Greg is getting some press for his upcoming play. I wish all of you could come see it. I have participated in the reading of the play in the earlier days, so I know it is great!!

In the post below is a link to a write up from Nashville.broadwayworld.com. Also our church bulletin had a write up too! I'll type that up here so you can read it.


"Off the Hill" In Action
We've often used the phrase here "off the hill", to describe our specific intention to carry the life of Jesus into our everyday lives and the community that surrounds us- not in some artificial, programmed way; but organically, using the natural gifts, passions and opportunities we have. We have a chance in the coming days to witness this vision in action in the artistic work of several of our members. so please take a look at the description below of this wonderful opportunity (I'm in and I hope to see you there).
-Dean Barham
At the Christian Scholars Conference in June, playwright John Patrick Shanley (Doubt) talked about faith, spirituality and art and about the importance of clearing a space for stories. Two members of this congregation have cleared such a space, a forum for their stories. Wes Driver and Greg Greene have started Blackbird Theater Company and, in cooperation with Lipscomb's Theatre Department, will present their inaugural play, an original script called Twilight of the Gods, on weekend evenings from August 6- 21. The cast includes Woodmont Hills members Caroline Davis, Wesley Payne, Ashley Thompson and Michael Slayton. The play is a comedic thriller about death, philosophy and the inability to have one without the other. As those of you who know Wes and Greg can be sure, they wrestle with God and their faith in dark, wonderful, absurd,and hilarious ways. The Church once understood the importance of supporting the art and the creations of complexity, the power and the humor of our own Creator. If you are interested in attending the production, all the Lipscomb box office (615-966-7111) or go to the company's website http://www.blackbirdnashville.com/.

No comments: