Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Space and Rocket Center Field Trip

Thursday we went to Alabama to the Space and Rocket Museum. We had a fabulous time. We will have to go back soon! Unfortunately, my big camera didn't make it into the car. It only made it to the garage steps. I had my little camera with me, but it was acting up. It kept turning off even though I had fully charged the battery the night before. So I didn't get very good pictures. This first picture- well it's Photoshopped. They had a wall climbing thing there and that was Aussie's favorite! They all liked it and did it 3 or 4 times. Aussie of course thought he was an expert. It had several levels 1-12. The easier ones were to the left and then it gradually got harder. Aussie conquered level 8 and got 1/4 way up level 11 and he was telling everyone he had conquered that level as well.
Mason almost made it to the top, but he looked down and got nervous.Hmmm...I'm not sure where the picture of Ashley went. She climbed all the way to the top on level 3.

When they built this facility they brought the spaceship in sections and they built the building around the spaceship. This is one of three rockets in the USA that is fully built and could be used if needed to go to space. We actually saw one of the other ones at Cape Canaveral the last time we went to Florida. I believe the other one is in Texas.

This little section below is actually where the astronauts sit. The whole rest of the rocket holds the fuel and is what makes them get up into space. I believe 3 astronauts can sit in here.

I actually can't remember how this clock tells time, but I thought it was cool.

This outside rocket is a model. It is the actual size of a real rocket that is used.




They had a little class about air pressure. Mason and Ashley were chosen to help demonstrate air pressure going into a 2 liter. Ashley went first and the experiment went as expected to the teacher. The little paper wad fell to the ground. Then Mason blew and the paper wad went into the bottle. That was not supposed to happen. But because she hadn't explained what would happen, I could tell Ashley felt a little embarrassed that hers did not go into the bottle.

Then they did a really cool experiment. And all of us got to try it. Everyone put a cup on their head and then one person blew them off with an air shooter thingy made out of a trash can, shower curtain and bungee cord.


I think we will need to make one of these on a smaller scale. We all had fun with this.


Then they got to make rocket fuel. They had to wear 2 pairs of gloves.


They each tried on this sleeping bag. It is attached to the wall of the spaceship.


And here is the group shot. This was a homeschool field trip. I'm glad my friend bought this picture. I wanted to buy it, but got there too late.

No comments: