On Facebook a week or two ago I asked my friends if anyone knew of a cooking class for children. I knew about Young Chef's Academy, but it was too expensive. So one of my church friends responded to me. She said that she loved to cooked and would love to teach my children one day a week. I was thrilled! She is a nutritionist and a very good cook. Yesterday we had our first class.She was amazing. She went over kitchen safety. And she had the plan written out. She showed the kids the menu.
Menu:
Main Dish-Lasagna
Side-Apple and Carrot Slices
Drink-Milk
Dessert-Chocolate Chip Cookies
Then she showed how we had to think about what takes the longest to make and what we needed to work on first. She showed each step of the way.
Ashley and Mason really wanted to learn, but I wasn't so sure about Aussie. He gave me a hard time in the car. But he stepped up to the plate and enjoyed himself while he was there. Here he is browning the ground beef for the lasagna.
Mason sprays the pan.
Ashley had to have a turn too browning the ground beef.
Ms. Helen also told us that when we start to cook a lot we can learn that we can substitute several things to make them healthier. When we made our cookies we added a 1/2 cup whole wheat flour to them.Everyone had a turn beating the cookie batter.
Aussie really enjoyed sifting the flour.
working together

They were learning to use the knife. This made them nervous. It also made me nervous. One thing that is really cool is Ms. Helen is also left handed. I'm sure that will help a lot in teaching my left handed children.
Ashley got peeling the carrots down pat.
Lasagna is done and WOW did it taste good. It was actually one of the best tasting lasagnas I've ever had. I'm sure it had something to do with the sauce. One sauce we used was Harris Teeter traditional sauce and the other was Bertolli. When I make this again I need to remember to get those.
working together
They were learning to use the knife. This made them nervous. It also made me nervous. One thing that is really cool is Ms. Helen is also left handed. I'm sure that will help a lot in teaching my left handed children.
Ashley got peeling the carrots down pat.
Lasagna is done and WOW did it taste good. It was actually one of the best tasting lasagnas I've ever had. I'm sure it had something to do with the sauce. One sauce we used was Harris Teeter traditional sauce and the other was Bertolli. When I make this again I need to remember to get those.


No comments:
Post a Comment