I need to catch up but tonight is not the night to do it. Hopefully I will have time to get caught up tomorrow.
Let me tell you what happened to me on Thursday. Thursday I had a list a mile long to complete for the last day of school and performance. The last week before winter break is the worst week. There are always papers due on top of other homework, gifts for teachers and friends, gifts for my students, preparing for my class, and preparing for any party or performances they have. It is stressful!
So Thursday around 2:30, I was running around trying to get things completed. I had just printed off one of the kid's papers and was heading back to the kitchen with my computer in my hands. I felt a sharp pain in my foot. Something must have gotten in my shoe. I put my foot down again to try to sit down and sure enough something very sharp was in my foot. With my hands full and standing on one foot, I started yelling, "help, I need HELP!" The kids came running. I handed off the computer and sat down on the stairs. A needle had gone through my tennis shoe and into my foot at an angle. It wasn't the sharp side either, it was the bigger side with the eye.
I tried to pull it out, but I couldn't get it out. I couldn't get my shoe off. And every time I tried to pull it out I felt faint. The kids asked if they should call Dad. I said, No! I needed help right then. I told them to go to our neighbor's house and ask for help. I thought our neighbors across the street were out of town. We had been getting their mail and newspapers and I hadn't heard that they came back yet. So they ran next door and got a college student. Unfortunately, he didn't quite know what to do. But I feeling a bit faint told him to stay with me. In the meantime, Greg calls to check on us. I'm starting to panic a bit. Anyway, Greg is trying to talk to me on the phone, suggesting we cut off the shoe. I was afraid if we did that the needle would snap and make it harder for me to get it out of my foot. So Greg leaves work and starts heading home. This particular week has been very hard on Greg at work.
Just then I saw our neighbors across the street come home. I sent the college boy over to get him. He came over and tried to get it out with tweezers. It wasn't coming out. So he said he needed to go back to his house and get pliers. But he tried one more time and he got it. He told me I needed to get a tetanus shot.
The kids were scared! I had them get me rubbing alcohol, wet washcloth and a Band-Aid. They thought I was going to have to go to the hospital. They did well assisting me. But it took a toll on them. Afterall, I take care of them, they are not supposed to take care of me.
I called the doctor's office and asked if I needed a tetanus shot. I hadn't had one since I been going to him in over 18 years. So I asked them when they closed. They said 4:00. I had about an hour at that point to get there.
I called Greg who was still on his way home. Apparently, rush hour had already begun and he was having a hard time getting to me. I told him that the office closed at 4:00 and he told me I had to leave right then to get there in time. I didn't hear one very important detail! I yelled to the kids, we have to go NOW! They are running around trying to get shoes on, coats on, etc. We get out the door. I got behind a school bus, then when I finally made it to the interstate everyone was going very slow! I looked ahead and there was a police car. No one dared to pass the police car. I followed him ALL THE WAY to my exit. Then once I got off the exit I hit nearly every stop light. While on the way, Greg calls. "Do you have the kids?" "Yes, of course I have the kids!" He went HOME! He meant for me to leave the kids at home and he would be there shortly. (That would be the detail I missed hearing.) Anyway, I pulled into the doctor's parking lot a few minutes after 4:00, but I went into the office anyway. They were ready for me.
The shot...I was expecting the shot to hurt. It didn't. It was very much like a flu shot. She told me it might hurt a bit afterwards. Ok, but it really didn't hurt the rest of the day or even the next day. But today! DANG! I feel like someone punched me really hard in the arm! Mason leaned on me and rested his head on my arm and I had to tell him to stop it hurt so bad. My entire shoulder is very tense. I tried to decorate today but it was quite painful.
My foot...it hurt worse yesterday more than it did when it happened. Today it didn't hurt so bad until the evening. I think the more active I am is when it hurts.
OK so that is the major drama that happened. I did have some fun over the last few days as well. I will have to share that with you later. I need to go to bed- Church in the morning. Greg already told me we shouldn't go to class because the roads are supposed to be bad. So we have an extra hour to sleep.
February Cocoa Daisy Project Shares!
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment