Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Trying to catch up a bit

I am terribly behind with no hopes of catching up. I was looking so forward to Shimelle's journaling and photo prompts. Now I have 8 or so emails that I still need to read and I'm feeling overwhelmed.  I'm wondering if I should just not even try to read those emails and pick up with tomorrow's or if I should read them in order and get to them when I get to them.

Wednesday I made 4 more ornaments for myself. I love them! I should make them as gifts, but I'm having a hard time parting with them. Is that selfish or what?  I did make those penguin ones though- all the same thing. I kept one for myself and gave the rest away.

 
The photo prompts for Wednesday and Thursday were to photograph something with a red background and using the rule of thirds.
 
 
This is one of my favorite decorations! I made this several years ago before the kids were born. A bunch of ladies from church got together and made clay angels.  Well #1 I'm not too fond of angels and #2 I can't seem to do anything the same as anyone else. I was so proud of it then and am still proud of it today. I think the angels were intended to be placed at the top of a tree, but my Santa is very heavy.  I'm assuming the angels were too heavy as well. I wonder how many of those ladies still have their angel.
 
 
 
I took 2 more pictures trying to find just the right thing to photograph with a red background.  I've been enjoying some hot chocolate during this cold season.  You know in some of the hot chocolate packets they have those little marshmallows?  I love those things. They've gotten smart and now sell them separately.  Which is MUCH better! One because they always melted before you could enjoy them when you put the milk in the mix.  And also now I can put them in my hot chocolate mix which is much better than the mixes they make anyway.
 

And this was my last attempt. I just thought this looked nice. I still love and collect snowmen.  I didn't put all of them out this year. I only put a few out.  I'm just a little nervous to put my big breakable ones out with my un-Lucky kitty. She enjoys knocking things off shelves.
 
Thursday besides getting hurt, Greg received complimentary tickets to a private viewing of Saving Mr. Banks. From the doctor's office I took the kids to McDonalds for some dinner before meeting at the theater. The boys LOVE to climb on the outside of the playground.  I let them, I don't see how it could hurt the playground.  I understand it is a liability to McDonalds, if the child falls and gets hurt.  However, I am not the type of person to sue if it is truly our fault. I don't allow them to do it if there are small children running around.
 

So there was a conversation at McDonalds.  It went like this:
 
Ashley to Mason: there are signs everywhere that say do not climb on outside equipment.
Mason: I don't speaky sign language.


Now back to the movie. WOW!  This is probably a movie you will want to see. Check out the preview here.
 
 
 
All three of my kids liked it as well, even though parts were emotional. It comes out in theaters on Dec. 20. (Mom- I know you don't go to the theater often anymore, but this one is worth seeing.)
 
 
 
Here are the iheartfaces photos prompts:
 
Day 3- boots

 
Day 4- 9:00
 


Day 5- Elves
 
(Drawn by Ashley)
 

Day 6- Fun
I made hot chocolate mixes for my students.  Wilton makes markers where the ink is edible.  Oh so fun!!! So I drew snowman faces on the marshmallows.
 



 
And packaged them in jars like this.  This is so not my original idea.  I found it on Pinterest of course.  I suppose I should link to the original. Here is where I found it. And I used Alton Brown's hot chocolate recipe. The recipe says to use 1/2 cocoa mix and 1/2 milk.  I think that is way too rich!  I think 1/4 cup cocoa mix to 3/4 cup milk works well.  It still might be a little rich.


 
And Ashley made a few anime ones.
 


Then on Friday in class we made gingerbread houses. 

 
It was extremely MESSY!
 
One thing I didn't mention in my last post was that my kids had such terrible anxieties over what happened during the day that they couldn't fall asleep.  They were up til 2:30 AM and woke up between 5 and 6:00 AM.  Ashley was so scared she slept on the floor in the boys room and asked Aussie to sleep next to her and hold her hand.  I stayed up ALL night. I had so many things I needed to complete for school.
 
One of the things I had to do was finish making the penguin hats for the performance Friday evening.  I'm not sure if I mentioned on here that all those cute little hats I made, more than half of them were too small.  I had made the hats earlier in the week but still needed to add the faces to them, which of course I put off to the last minute.
 
I was pretty much a zombie by Friday afternoon.  I got really nervous that I wouldn't be able to make it home safely.  The program was scheduled for 7 PM and I had no time to go home in between school and the program.  Greg had a weekend job and I couldn't count on him to drive us home.  The weather started looking bad- to Nashvillians.  Seriously, it was nothing but I started praying that they cancel the program.  I am SO THANKFUL they did cancel it.  They will reschedule it in January.  I needed to go home.  I prayed all the way home, cold air blowing in my face, music loud, talking to my kids, everything possible to stay awake.  I got home safely and promptly fell asleep on the couch.
 
And that doesn't catch me up all the way, but enough for now.







No comments: