
On Wednesday we went to The Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's home) with my friend Jill and her daughter Izabelle.
I had never been there before, I really enjoyed it (Especially the wagon ride). I learned quite a bit. I learned Andrew Jackson was good to his slaves unless they disobeyed and then he was quite strict with them. I learned about his faithful servant, Alfred. What is really neat about him is that he lived on the property and stayed on as a tour guide after the home was made into a "museum".
This is where he lived.
I had never been there before, I really enjoyed it (Especially the wagon ride). I learned quite a bit. I learned Andrew Jackson was good to his slaves unless they disobeyed and then he was quite strict with them. I learned about his faithful servant, Alfred. What is really neat about him is that he lived on the property and stayed on as a tour guide after the home was made into a "museum".
This is where he lived.
We took a wagon ride tour. Austin, Ashley and Izabelle got to sit up front since there was no more room in the wagon. Mason was a little disappointed in having to sit in my lap, but he didn't complain. I learned something very interesting about horses.
Did you know they go through cycles like women do? The horses that were pulling us had PMS. I asked if they tend to get PMS at the same time like women living together do. And she said, "yes, plus these two are sisters." Anyway, they were a little grumpy and knocked one of the tour guides down earlier in the day. The owner of the horses was also our tour guide and she kept them in line well.
These are 2 of the slave houses. They had about a 20'x20' room per family dwelling. Many of them had five and sometimes as many as ten children living in that small area.
Then we toured the mansion. It was really incredible seeing everything. But it was hard on the children. (my children that is) They were being so good, but we were told not to touch anything or talk loud. That was quite a task for 3 four year olds. They were happy to get out of the house and I was too. I know that my children made some of the tour guides nervous, even though they were being very well behaved.
Then we walked through the gardens and saw the little graveyard where General Jackson, his wife and family members had been buried.
This big gazebo looking grave is where the president and his wife were buried.

The kids were quite hungry and tired, so it was time to take them to eat. They had ran and ran all over the grounds laughing and exploring. As we were leaving, Austin said, "I never want to come back to this place again.".
Look at his face. Does that face look like he didn't enjoy himself? He's doing a little happy dance on the cellar door.I'm glad we went!

No comments:
Post a Comment