Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Merry Mentors

I love Christmas! But even I am faced with negativity or anxiety over one thing or another.  I sometimes get disappointed when someone doesn't share my enthusiasm.  For example, I want to ride around one night and look at the Christmas lights.  But I want to go to the rich part of town because they tend to have some really cool decorations.  But my boys especially, would rather stay home and play on the computer or write/work on a theater company.  They would feel like they are trapped in the car with no way of getting out.

I remember one street I went down several years ago.  It was amazing!  Each house, one after another making their light show better than the house before.  Then you come to the end of street and the house on the end had one inflatable of the GRINCH with one light.  That had to be the funniest site I had seen all year.

Anyway, what do you do when you are surrounded by stress or negativity?  I hadn't really thought about it until today's writing prompt.  Who are your Merry Mentors?  Do I have any?  When thinking about it I came up with 2 people.  One is real and one is fictitious.  My "real" merry mentor would be my neighbor that I met just a couple months ago.  She exudes peace.  I told her this today and she laughed and said she didn't always feel peaceful all the time.  Granted I haven't been around her a whole lot, but she is such a calm, in control person and every time I've seen her I have learned something from her.  I really like her.

The other person that came to mind almost instantaneously would be Clark Griswold.
Seriously, when I think of him, a big smile comes across my face.  I secretly would like to have my entire house lit up with Christmas lights. And you know if they had those synchronizers back in the day this movie was filmed, Clark certainly would have been using it.  I wonder what songs he would choose. What do you think he would choose?

So this Christmas season if I am faced with anxiety, I will look to my friend for peace.  And when I'm faced with negativity I'll think about Chevy Chase.  I might have to rent that movie again.

I have more to write, but I promised myself an earlier bedtime tonight.  Catch ya later!

No comments: