Wednesday, September 05, 2007

The finger in the water test


Ok many of you have asked about the finger in the water test.

It's very simple but it really works.


I grew up in a family with 6 kids. I think at any given time the most kids in the house was 5. When no one was fessing up to "whatever", my parents brought out the water test.


What you do is take a bowl of water and have them put their finger in it and hold still (don't touch the bottom).

Then you sternly ask the question, "Did you....?" If the water remains still they didn't do it. If there is any ripples in the water- you know they are the culprit.

Now this is funny:

I was trying to take pictures so I could explain this better. I told Austin to help me out with this. I said, "ok Aussie, I'm going to ask you a question and I want you to lie to me." He said, "You want me to lie?" I said, "yes just for this experiment". So I asked him a question and he would said, "No, I mean yes" It confused him. So I started asking a lot of questions, some like are the lights on....Do you have a brother?...Did you get the milk out of the refrigerator? And even though I could tell when he was lying I couldn't snap a picture to show the ripples. So he asked me what this was for. And I said this bowl of water can tell me when you are lying. He was intrigued. I said let's try one more time. And in a stern voice I said, "Aussie, Did you write on the wall?" He jerked his finger out of the water and said, "I'm sorry Mom, I knew it was wrong and I was trying to wash it off." I looked at him and said, "You drew on the wall today?" And he said, "Sorry Mom" So I had him show me where he wrote on the wall. I didn't see that coming. It wasn't the reaction I expected, but hey I got the truth.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your dad called it the "Indian Water Test".

Snarky Mom Reads said...

Oh, ROFLMAO!! And to think that you found something out -- isn't that the prime example of don't ask a question unless you're willing to hear the answer??? >>wink<<

Jann Gray said...

I LOVE it...and how cute that it totally worked without you even planning on it to!

Dana said...

That is TOO funny! Wow - must be magic water! ;)
Does it work on husbands too....?