Friday, January 11, 2013

Final Day of Vacation- St. Augustine

Oh my goodness, I'm not sure I got any sleep last night, well maybe a few minutes.  After blogging last night I researched the best way to photograph a sunrise. The article I read said to get to your destination at least a half hour before sunrise because some of your best pictures will come in that time frame.  Since I've never really gotten up early to see a sunrise before I figured it must be right. Sunrise was supposed to be at 6:54AM.  That's not terribly early. I can do this.

Not sure when I actually got to bed, probably 3:30 AM.  I kept thinking of things I needed to do. I set my alarm for 6:00 AM, hoping to leave at 6:15 AM.  Ashley was going to go with me.  I laid in bed excited and thinking 6 AM might not be early enough for me to get up and get everything together.  So I reset my alarm for 5:50 AM.  I must have fallen asleep for a few minutes.  I woke up panicking, why didn't my alarm go off?  I tear off my CPAP, then THINK I realize I still have a half an hour.  Since it was such a short time I decide not to put my CPAP back on and try to go back to sleep.  But instead of  going back to sleep I contemplate for a half an hour whether I should just go ahead and get up.  The alarm doesn't go off in  half an hour and I wonder what in the world is wrong.  Thinking a little clearer now I realize I still have another hour until I'm supposed to get up.  Oh brother!  I put my CPAP back on and wondered how I was going to get up.  This will be worth it, I tell myself over and over again.

The alarm goes off at the correct time. Oh wow this is hard.  I really want to do this, come on Chelle get out of the bed.  I wake Ashley up.  I was quite proud that we were out the door 5 minutes earlier than I intended.

Yesterday, Gayle asked me which beach I was going to, Vilano or St. Augustine.  I really didn't know.  I only knew how to get to one of them and I thought it was Vilano.  Vilano beach is where we went the other day where the kids played in the ocean. Vilano is also closer than St. Augustine beach.

So I'm driving along, Welcome to St. Augustine beach. OH, I guess I know how to get to this beach and not the other.  Still thinking I was at the same beach we went to the other day, I'm not seeing where we parked or any entrance to the beach.  I call Greg.  I think I'm kind of lost. He guides me to a parking area (which happened to be a different parking area than he had in his mind but that's another story.)

Wow!  It is dark outside! And dang cold! I get out my flash light and start walking toward the beach. I was scared I would run into an alligator or something.  Even though Ashley is just a kid, I was super glad to have her with me.

Greg calls to make sure I made it onto the beach.  Yes, but it's scary!  There is NO ONE around and it is really dark.  "OK, I'll come", he says.

I set up my tri-pod in anticipation of seeing one of the most amazing sights in my life. Ashley is hovered beside me with her winter coat, 2 beach towels and a blanket on top of her. "Why is it so cold?" The sun is not out, it's January, we are by the water, etc. I tell her.

Greg gets there and there is light and not so scary anymore.  A few people have made it onto the beach and were walking or walking their dog.

6:59AM- no sun
7:10 AM- no sunrise
Where is it?
Greg looks and whatever website he looks at says 7:22 AM sunrise
7:22 AM- no sunrise
7:30 AM- no sunrise
7:40 AM- no sunrise
Really?
I look up the sun is peering a little bit through the clouds.

The clouds were so heavy you could not see the sunrise. It was a huge bust!  I snapped a few pictures anyway and wasn't quite ready to concede.



Ashley and I picked up a few shells.


I snapped this picture of the pier.  I'm fairly certain the colors were not this vibrant in real life, but when I auto-corrected the color in Photoshop this is what it gave me and I thought it was gorgeous.


We left around 8AM.
I took a picture of the palm trees in the parking lot because I don't get to see Christmas lights on palm trees in Nashville.

We went back to the house and Greg and I went back to sleep for 2 1/2 hours.
Today was another really busy day, so next update will be in 2 hours.


No comments: