Monday, January 21, 2013

Random Act of Kindness

I made someone's day today!

Recently I went to a cookie exchange and I won first place for the yummy cookies I made.  I made Nutella and Sea salt stuffed Sugar cookies!  Don't they sound yummy?  I found the recipe on Pinterest.  And you can have it too!  Click Here.

Anyway, guess what my prize was? You would never ever guess, so let me tell you...

A $25 gift card to Tiffany's.
  It came in this sweet little box, all nicely wrapped with a bow.  I was so excited!  But then the realization hit me...What in the world could I possibly buy at Tiffany's worth $25?  I certainly can't afford to buy anything there, except maybe jewelry cleaner and well I didn't need any expensive jewelry cleaner.

I got the chance to go there today and look around the store.  I looked at all the beautiful things. I did happen to find a deck of cards for $30!

Really?  Playing cards for $30?  I was tempted to get them, but the frugal person inside of me just couldn't do it!  I can buy a deck of cards at the $1.00 store and be just as happy with them as I would be with these cards. Besides, I play all of my solitaire/card games online anyway.

The sales people there were really nice, but the guard had his eye on me. I could tell! He made it quite obvious.  So I went and talked to him.  He was an older man probably in his late 70's. I told him I was given a gift card but it was probably worthless to me since I couldn't afford to buy anything.  He smiled and agreed with me, but did mention the jewelry cleaner.  I told him my plan.  I was going to see if anyone was going to buy anything and then I would give them my gift card.

I spotted a young lady buying something.

I walked up to her and the clerk and said, "I can't afford anything in here and I have this gift card if you would like to have it. It's for $25."

Both of them were extremely stunned.  Their mouths just dropped open.

Then the customer just stunned kept saying thank you over and over again.
And as I was walking out the door the guard nodded and said Thank you to me.

It felt good!

I thought about asking on Facebook if any of my friends/family would be shopping at Tiffany's anytime soon, but this just seemed like the right thing to do.

Then I headed over to Michael's to find a 90% off sale on Christmas items.  Woooopeee!  I bought several things for pennies.

Then on top of that, when I picked up Ashley at the theater today I went into the Save-A-Lot store next door.  And they had a 75% off sale on a few toys.  They only sell toys at Christmas time so they were getting rid of them. Major score!  I bought a lighted reusable rocket for each of my student's in my Astronomy class for $2.49 each. I only have 6 kids. I bought a couple nice stuffed animals for $1.50 each.  I thought I could give them as baby gifts. I got a glow in the dark Nerf gun for $5.00.  OH so cool.  I would have gotten one for each of my kids but they only had one.  And I got this awesome football for $3.50, which when I bought it I just thought was a regular Nerf football.



It is absolutely the coolest thing!  You put these frames on that have either green or red lights.  Then on the football itself it has several reflectors.  So by wearing these frames with lights it causes the football to light up at night.  I tried to get Mason to go outside and play with me, because I knew he would love it.  But he was playing with Ashley so I asked Aussie to go outside and play with me.

He had a blast!  He would do awkward dancing and throw the ball.  Then I called inside to Greg...You have to come see this.  And as I handed over my glasses/frames to Greg, I sat back and watched them have fun.  And thought to myself...I just tricked the two most un-athletic boys in this house to play football!

We came in.  And a little bit later Aussie asked if we could go out again.  If it hadn't been 11:00PM I probably would have done it.

Anyway, I think Ashley and Mason would love it too.  So I had my friend pick me up another one while she was still by the theater.  I knew they would be gone before I could get back there.  Now we will all have the glasses and be able to play together!

BTW...I did check out 2 other Save-A-Lot's to see if they had any of the Nerf guns.  One didn't have anything and the other one had 4 more guns, but they weren't marked down.  I showed them my receipt and how another S-A-L sold it for $5.00, but they told me they were individually owned and couldn't possibly mark them down that low. Phoooey!

Still I consider it a very successful day!

And even better- it's MLK day tomorrow----NO SCHOOL!



No comments: