My parents never lied to me about Santa, but they never out right told me the truth either. They left that up to other people and TV shows. And it was quite enough to make me believe. My Mom would joke, "Daddy is the real Santa Claus. See his big belly?" "Yah, right Mom!", rolling my eyes. He most certainly is NOT, I thought. I was quite content in believing the magic of the big fat man in the red suit who brought presents and left them under the tree.
I remember vividly how I found out for sure there was no Santa. I was at an age where many of the kids were doubting, many told me, but I didn't want to quite believe it.
My Dad received a call, there was much discussing with my Mom and then it was decided- We were going to Ohio for Christmas and we were leaving right away. We lived in Massachusetts at the time. How would Santa find me? How were we going to have Christmas?
My brothers said, "OH YOU know there is NO Santa! Mom and Dad are Santa. Come on YOU'VE known this!" Is this true? My Mom was forced to agree.
We were all told to go to our rooms. We waited in our rooms with the doors closed as Mom and Dad brought the presents downstairs and put them around the tree.
That year we had Christmas in the evening. I don't remember much else about that Christmas, but it certainly was when I found out for sure there was no Santa.
I wanted to do what my parents did with me with my kids, letting them believe but not lying to them either. However, Greg believed strongly in telling them the whole truth. I regret it terribly! But we didn't want them growing up wondering what else we lied about. We wanted to make sure they knew Santa was imaginary but Jesus is real.
I really like how my preacher and his wife do it. They told their kids that there is a secret about Christmas, and when they are old enough and figure out the secret then they get to be a part of the secret.
February Cocoa Daisy Project Shares!
10 years ago
1 comment:
I like that idea that they get to be part of it. I understand the desire to have Jesus be the focus as opposed to Santa.
I grew up not believing in Santa and i feel like I missed out. I think that was the main reason we did it.
Love hearing your thoughts.
Post a Comment